Lead Abatement

The presence of lead in your home or business is an extremely serious health hazard that should not be ignored. DryAgain Water, Mold and Fire Restoration Services offers certified lead abatement services to protect the occupants of your home or business from extremely dangerous lead poisoning. Regular exposure to lead can damage nearly every system in the body, and the harmful effects can be present in both adults and children. Lead is a toxic metal that can cause serious health problems if dust particles containing it are inhaled, or ingested. Although children are the primary risk for lead poisoning, it can also be dangerous to adults. Signs and symptoms of lead poisoning in adults can include high blood pressure, abdominal pain and constipation, joint and muscle pain, numbness or tingling in the extremities, declines in mental functioning, headache, memory loss, mood disorders, and in some cases reduced sperm count or even miscarriage or premature birth. Your best bet for avoiding this common health hazard is to contact the experts at DryAgain Water, Mold and Fire Restoration Services for an assessment, and if necessary lead abatement service for your home or business.

So, how do you know whether or not to be concerned about the presence of lead on your property? Up until the year 1978, lead was a common component in both interior and exterior paint. Any home or apartment built before 1978 may contain lead-based paint, which poses a serious risk of lead poisoning, especially for small children and pregnant women. As long as lead-based paint is in good condition, with an unbroken surface, the paint doesn’t pose a serious health threat. The problem with lead contamination begins when the lead-based paint begins to deteriorate. When paint cracks and crumbles, tiny particles of lead-contaminated dust and flakes of paint can be released into your environment. This dust and flakes of paint can begin to accumulate on window sills and in corners, on countertops and floors, and even in clothing and bedding. It can get into fabrics and carpeting, which is yet another reason why it’s a good idea to call DryAgain Water, Mold and Fire Restoration Services to schedule a yearly carpet and upholstery cleaning. As if that wasn’t enough, the lead particles can contaminate soil around the house, creating a host of other exposure problems, especially if you like to grow your own produce.

Lead can come from a variety of sources, the most common being paint. Not just house paint, either. Lead-based paint can appear in a variety of ways, even on toys and furniture. Most lead poisoning in children is the result of accidental ingestion of lead-based paint chips. Other contributing factors include lead and copper pipes, as well as brass plumbing fixtures that have been soldered with lead, all of which can release particles of lead into the water supply. One surprising source of lead contamination comes from canned goods. Lead solder in food cans has been banned in the United States, but it is still used in some countries. Soil contamination is another common way that people are exposed to lead. Particles that settle into the soil from leaded gasoline or paint can last for years and may be a serious problem in some urban settings or around highways. If any of this sounds familiar, it might be a good idea to give DryAgain Water, Mold and Fire Restoration Services a call and let us check it out for you. Our combined decades of experience in lead abatement, along with the state-of-the-art tools and techniques will leave your property lead free and safe for everyone.

Because very small children are fond of putting everything within reach into their mouths, they are especially at risk. Often, symptoms won’t appear until lead has built up in dangerous amounts. Symptoms of lead poisoning in children may include developmental delay, irritability, loss of appetite and weight loss, sluggishness or fatigue, abdominal pain, learning difficulties, vomiting, constipation and hearing loss. The risk to babies is especially high because exposure—even before birth—can lead to slowed growth and learning difficulties later in life. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that both doctors and patients follow the recommendations of their state or local health department with regards to lead exposure and safety measures. Doctors usually use a simple blood test to determine whether or not a person has been exposed to dangerous lead levels. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that children be tested for lead levels at ages 1 and 2, but if your child is older and has never been screened, it is a good idea to ask your doctor for a test next time you go for a checkup. Some areas can potentially have a higher risk than others, so certain areas recommend more frequent testing.

There are many different methods for lead abatement. The first step, once lead contamination has been discovered, is enclosure. The lead paint is covered, limiting exposure. This is a common method when dealing with larger surfaces, especially. Once the threat has been contained, the lead paint should be removed. This is not a process that should be attempted by anyone but a professional at DryAgain Water, Mold and Fire Restoration Services, since the removal process can create dust which can be inhaled or inadvertently consumed. In some cases, encapsulation is possible. Encapsulation entails not only covering the affected area, but stealing it in a specific coating, which can be a less-expensive alternative to paint removal or replacement, but cannot be applied in all cases. The final option is replacement. This method involves completely removing the affected item, whether it is a door, window or molding, and replacing it with a new one. Call DryAgain Water, Mold and Fire Restoration Services today and get a free assessment of your home or office. Our service technicians are trained and certified in all methods of lead abatement, and we can help you choose the path that is right for your situation.

There is no job that is too big or too small for the experts at DryAgain Water, Mold and Fire Restoration Services. Our service professionals are all highly trained, continually educated, and licensed—including IICRC certification. That means that we have made the investment in our team, our equipment, and in the future of your home or business. At DryAgain Water, Mold and Fire Restoration Services we have combined decades of experience dealing with many different types of restoration, and we know how they can combine to make a seemingly hopeless task of clean up and restoration. Leave it to us. We can even work together with your insurance adjustors to reduce your out-of-pocket costs, whatever the circumstances. The presence of lead in your home or office is both common and dangerous. Call DryAgain Water, Mold and Fire Restoration Services today and schedule a free estimate. The best advice we have for you is: don’t wait!

At DryAgain Water, Mold and Fire Restoration Services we are here to help you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for lead issues, water damage or any number of home services issues. Don’t wait, call (909) 337-7900 or email trevor@dryagain.com now for your free, no obligation estimate.